Saturday, August 14, 2010

Homemade Alcohol Stoves

A couple years ago, I posted up a little video on YouTube that basically showcased a little alcohol stove I made for backpacking. It was a variant of the classic "pop-can" stove that is especially popular with thru-hikers due to their light weight, low rate of failure, and ease of construction. To make a basic penny-stove, it only takes maybe 10 minutes as long as you have a couple pop cans, a knife, and a sewing needle. Of course, to make a nice polished and shiny one or a double wall stove like in the videos below, it takes a little more time. Either way, if you're in a pinch and need a good little stove, the ability to make one of these little gems is definitely a good skill to have.
Here's the videos for now, but stay tuned over the next couple of days for new posts containing construction details. I've got a few little things I want to try out and I've enlisted the help of my little brother in-law to help, so it should be pretty fun.
The first video is the original I posted a few years ago, the second vid is a basic how-to for the same stove. I originally got the ideas and plans from zenstoves.net, but a lot of the links are dead now as many people have stopped contributing to the site or updating it. I want to give a little back to the alcohol stove community, so I'll try to post up a few different styles along with the basic instructions to build one for yourself. I am definitely not the only resource for these things, so get on google and search for them. There is a plethora of information out there, you just gotta dig it up. On to the videos....



No comments: